Thread: The Great Sea Robin Migration of 2013

Default The Great Sea Robin Migration of 2013

The fall run has been getting worse and worse every year, to the point where I really don't waste too much time or gas money chasing stripers in the fall anymore. But on Saturday I decided to take a break from all the trout and salmon fishing I have been doing lately to fish the full moon tide and see if there is any life in Long Island Sound at all.

I arrived at the first spot in late afternoon and the water looked very fishy. The sky was overcast and the current was moving nicely, creating some real fishy looking rips. I was on the water for about 15 minutes when to my amazement I felt a light pull on the end of the line. I set the hook and could tell it wasn't a big fish. Since I haven't caught a striper in months, I would settle for a small one at this point. But alas, about two seconds into the fight the fish was no match at all for my 8wt. Even a 9" bass pulls harder than this. Must be some kind of bycatch. Sure enough, it was a small sea robin. I caught another, and then another, and then another all in short order. Well despite the sea robin bite being red hot, I decided to leave fish to see if I could find fish-of the striped kind.

Spot #2 was a sandy flat in Fairfield county. The water there felt warmer than the air. I started casting to the likely looking spots and soon I was rewarded with a good solid tug on the end of the line. "A striper for sure" I thought to myself, but soon again the fish was not much of a match for the 8wt. This one was a trophy sea robin, the biggest one I ever caught! Still fought like a wet blanket though. After catching about a half dozen more I gave up on this spot too and headed elsewhere.

I arrived at the third spot as the sun was setting. I spent 45 minutes casting to nothing before calling it a day. Oh well, back to trout, salmon and steelhead for now.
    Rats off to ya!

Default Hero shot?

What the heck, man? I was totally expecting a hero shot added to this post. Seems like all we have to look forward to anymore on the CT shores is that illustrious run of the winged ugly ones!

Went to the sound in Stratford, got there too early as I always do, the tide had just started to pull out. I waded out like a fool on the sand bars and got casting practice until 1230 or so. A few boats were catching but there was no way I could reach with a flyrod.
    A few more guys showed up at the proper time and someone parked a little down from me and asked about any luck. At that point, the answer was no, not yet, and as I said yet, I had my first fish on. A schoolie, but a good fighter just the same, maybe 16". My neighbor hooked up as well within 10 seconds. Same size fish. He hooked up a few more times, I did not, I would say it was a little slow because even he left by 145. More fish would have been fun, but I finally gave up at 2pm and made my way back to the car. It was a beautiful day down there, as I am sure today will be, but the fish werent around in great numbers.