Thread: Needhami hatch

Default Needhami hatch

Could someone please tell us how much longer this little bug emerges?. Is it late August or more likely into September?.

Early AM (7-8) and until 10 or so?, and spinner falls 6-8 PM?.

Thanks!

Al Vignart
    Manchester, NH

about 3-4 weeks, hatch 8-10 pm ,spinners 10-noon

Salar, did you mean to say 8-10am for the hatch?

According to Dave Goulet at Classic & Custom, the hatch is a morning event, 9-10am. The spinnerfall is not time-specific and occurs when the air temp over the water reaches 80 degrees.

A check of the UpCountry website reports Needhami being present until the end of August. Al, you'll also find tiny Tricos in August.

I usually know they're there when the surface is simmering and I can't see a darn thing on the water. ;-)

All this talk has gotten me stoked. I am going to try to fish this hatch tomorrow morning.
    “We fish for pleasure; I for Mine, you for yours.”
    — James Leisenring

I promise this doesn't suck: currentseams

Default Thanks for Needhami info

I am grateful to both of you for your answers, guys; we are planning a visit (or two, 3,...?) to the Farmi in the near future.

Our question came after having finally identified those bugs, last Sunday morning in the upper Connecticut river of northern New Hampshire -North Stratford/Columbia/Colebrook area.

We had a rainy, windy day, with the water up a bit and a few smaller fish showing at the tail end of a pool that is normally flat. It wasn't until after a friend picked-up a male specimen later in the day and showed it to us, a size 18 here, maybe even a #20 (3-4mm body length) -huge compared to your #22-#26's. We saved it and found our answer on Monday.

If the females are indeed a bit smaller and their body color closer to dark olive it'd certainly justify our confusion of many years, but not our laziness to identify them properly: in many instances we'd pick one from the current -female, most likely- and tell each other... "BWO's". But I must confess that in more than one occasion I kept wondering with the question... "BWO's with yellow legs and tail!?".

In the case of the spinners my own confusion was even worse. To start with -and just like you Steve- I couldn't see them, only the riseforms. And after playing the guessing game for some time would opt to scoop one from the surface that upon looking at will immediately result in more questions: "...Sulphur spinners?, so dark and small?" and/or "PMD's spinners?, I didn't know we had them here!?".

Best to all and thanks again,

Al Vignart
    Manchester, NH

A check of the UpCountry website reports Needhami being present until the end of August. Al, you'll also find tiny Tricos in August.
    ทางเข้า gclub