Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vest Causing Shoulder/Back Pain

Default Vest Causing Shoulder/Back Pain

I get really painful muscle aches/cramps in my back (Shoulder Blade area) when wearing my Simms Vests but when I just put a couple of small boxes in my shirt pocket I am largely pain free.
    Even using an English style shoulder bag is better for my back than wearing a Vest.
    I'm wondering if any of you have had similar aches/pains experience and if so, have you tried a Filson Strap Vest and did that help any? Did any other type vest help? I'm good with cutting down on the amount of "stuff" I carry.
    Thanks,
    Ken

:D CtKenC:

I have the same problem. I don't own a Simms vest but the 2 other brand vests I have cause the same kind of pain. Last year I bought a Cabelas vest with a single front center container. It's better but after a long time fishing the pain still occurs. This year I got a pair of waders from Stearns with a sort of built-in vest. It seems to be fine but I can't carry as much. If you find a good solution, I would be interrested.

Howie

I've had the same problem for years. It helps to lighten the load. I put a few things in the front pocket of my waders and clip my forceps to my wader belt. Lately, during low water conditions, I have been fishing without a vest, using a small tackle pack that attatches to my wader belt. It holds a two small flyboxes, one medium size flybox, tippets and forceps. Even so, I still get the same pain sometimes. I think it is related to hunching over when concentrating on following the drift of the fly.

Default chest box?

How about trying a chest box, such as a Downs or Richardson. Richardson is now making an ultralite version that you can fit out yourself if you like.
    The three drawer is 45.00 last time I checked the website. The three drawer Downs is under 70.00 I think. Then you can buy a sling bag at Old Navy for your other stuff for under 15.00....I actuallly scored some sling bags there last year on the clearance rack for 2.99!
    Good luck,
    Hot Tuna

I tried the Richardson 3 tray aluminum chest box about 20 years ago. It didn't relieve the pain. I added a couple of flat belt clips to the back of it and slipped it onto my wader belt. It solved the pain problem, but the box would get wet if I forgot about it and waded too deeply. Not fun having to dry the flies so that the hooks wouldn't rust out.

Here's a pic showing the belt clips. Click it to see a larger image. I would remove the shoulder sraps whenever I wore the box on my wader belt. I sold the fly box a few years ago. It was an original Richardson, not one of the copies.

I own a Columbia vest for almost 10 years now & I love it.....I used to have the same type of shoulder & neck pains until I found this vest.....It's got a neoprene collar....It makes a huge difference. The stretch in the neoprene distributes the load to the front flaps of the vest and away from your neck & shoulders......Here's a link to the Columbia website.....Not sure if it's the Henry's Fork or the Cool creek, but check them both out.....I think they both have the neoprene neck panel....

http://www.columbia.com/Product.aspx...1090&prod=1183
    GAWN FISHIN'.... <*((((((((><

I cant remember the last time I felt neck-shoulder pain when fishing.

I have moved my less used boxes, a flashlight, and a spare reel to the back pocket of my vest and I think that helped a lot, though it was a serendipitous result, I am quite pleased
    If the line aint tight - Ya aint doin it right

I know I'm late jumping on the subject, but is it definitely your vest? I have had some pain, but it is from my posture. I tend to hunch over a bit to get a better view of the water...break the glare...or act stealth on the fish.
    >>)))> Flyaddict >>)))>

:D I think Flyaddict might be on to something. When I only fish for a couple of hours, the pain doesn't happen. but if I fish for a long time, it invariably happens.

Howie

Back pain stinks. It could be caused by many things and your pack may aggravate it. Physical training and therapy really has helped me with my back problems. Very simple neck exercises and stretches that aren't taxing may help. Hope it feels better.
    If you donít know where you are going you might wind up someplace else.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast